Chapter 31: Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E)
The Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) VetSuccess Program is authorized by Congress under Title 38, Code of Federal Regulations. It is sometimes referred to as the Chapter 31 program. The VetSuccess program assists Veterans with service-connected disabilities to prepare for, find, and keep suitable jobs.
- Comprehensive rehabilitation evaluation to determine abilities, skills, and interests for employment
- Vocational counseling and rehabilitation planning for employment services
- Employment services such as job-training, job-seeking skills, resume development, and other work readiness assistance
- Assistance finding and keeping a job, including the use of special employer incentives and job accommodations
- Post-secondary training at a college, vocational, technical or business school
Active Duty Service Members are eligible if they:
- Expect to receive an honorable discharge upon separation from active duty
- Obtain a memorandum rating of 20% or more from the VA
- Apply for Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) VetSuccess services
Veterans are eligible if they:
- Have received, or will receive, a discharge that is other than dishonorable
- Have a service-connected disability rating of at least 10%, or a memorandum rating of 20% or more from the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA)
- Apply for Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment on eBenefits.
Basic period of Eligibility
The basic period of eligibility in which VR&E VetSuccess services may be used is 12 years from the latter of the following:
- Date of separation from active military service, or
- Date the veteran was first notified by VA of a service-connected disability rating.
Veterans that are eligible for this chapter do NOT go through the certification process at TAMIU. All inquiries about this chapter should be directed to Mr. Israel Morales at the following address:
U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs
Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment Division
4646 Corona Dr
Corpus Christi, Texas 78240
Once approval is granted, the VA will mail an approval form to Texas A&M International University's Veterans Affair Coordinator.